Friday 10 May 2013

Gay Post Code Wars

Finally! I have found a lovely flat in South East London which I move in tomorrow. It has lovely views of a dock, in Zone 2, walking distance to a tube and easy to get to both work and central London. Could not be happier.

On the announcement of the news on Facebook, my close friends were excited for my return. However, a few friends of friends responded with messages asking why I was living so far out of central London.

Now, for those who have never lived in London, there are pockets of gay ghettoes. North London is stereotypically for couple with money and Shoreditch is for the skinny jeans wearing, 'arty' types. For my 'sub culture' - i.e. 30s muscle/bear type not on a great income, South London is the place to be.

In particular, anywhere on the Northern Line between Kennington and Clapham is the most popular. I have lived in a ex-council flat in Clapham which was full of gay flat shares of men my age. They all look the same and have the same lifestyle of going out, sleeping around and unable to hold down relationships. Gaydar and Grindr are full of the same men and plenty of them.



Having lived this lifestyle, you end up paying a lot for generally run down properties in crime ridden areas. The attitude of some of my friends implies that I can not live a fully gay life style if I do not surround myself with gay men. This is quite stupid as I can get to the gay villages of Soho, Vauxhall and Clapham within half an hour. The reality is it is because I cannot get on the northern line within 3 minutes to pick up a shag.

I think this is taking living a 'gay London life style' a bit too far. For any single gay man looking to relocate to London, do not fall into the trap of living just to where Grindr is busiest. The reality is London has so much to offer and do not allow the scene or Grindr hotspots dictate where you live! Find an area that you love like I have!

No comments:

Post a Comment